Monday, June 9, 2008

A Mother's Rant. Episode 2.




It's not what you think. There has been an incident...but not an "incident". So, I guess I shouldn't title this post a mother's rant. A more appropriate name would be a mother's concern...frustration...irritation. Either'll do.
Allow me to preface. When I decided to begin the wonderful journey that is motherhood I knew that there would probably be lasting "effects" i.e. stretch marks, droopy boobs, "flab"ulous abs... however, I didn't quite anticipate becoming a walking prune...a pasty, pale, walking prune. (side note: I exaggerate, but not much. AND, if any of you comment and tell me you've never had a stretch mark I will seriously col' cock your cranium). But that is not the issue and fortunately there are ways of correcting this saggy and wrinkly problem...should it come to that.
Now to the issue at hand. A few days ago a friend of mine asked if I would be around Monday to babysit. No problem, I had no plans. Fast foreward to today, Monday. I woke up feeling a little lazy and didn't want to do much. I finally peeled myself out of bed and went downstairs to feed the kiddies. I was immediately reminded of the fact that we had no food. No really, no food: no bread, no milk, no eggs (I had to call the neighbors last night to borrow milk to make mac and cheese. Thankfully we were able to scrape up enough butter to prepare our gourmet Sunday dinner. Ridiculous, I know.)
So, I woke up to zero food in the house. The kids were mad because there was nothing to eat, which made me mad and...I mean what am I anyway, a walking grocery store? (NO! I AM A WALKING PRUNE!) I scrounged up what odds and ends I could to feed the kids then chugged back half a Dr. P (BONUS!, sugar AND caffine combined. A little liquid energy AND happiness.) Without thinking, I loaded the kids in the car and drove to Costco. An hour and a half later we returned home. I walked into the kitchen and saw the message light flashing. It was my friend, wondering where the crap I was(not her exact words).
Now, I'm sure your wondering what all the fuss is about. It was just a babysitting appointment. Well the fuss is that this is not an isolated incident. I have forgotten several things over the last eighteen months (since the birth of number four). I have forgotten therapy appointments (let me clarify, therapy for Quinn, although it appears I could use some as well), dentist appointments, and hair appointments, to name a few. I forgot the snacks for the nursery AND the key to open the toy closet. I forgot my wallet when I went to the store. I forgot my book on top of the car. I'd probably still be wondering where it was had I not seen it somersaulting down the street through my rearview mirror. I'm sure there are more...but, naturally, I can't remember them.
Now, I knew beforehand that "scatterbrainness" is a common side affect of pregnancy, but I was under the impression that it would eventually go away. It was enough to sacrifice my body for the cause, but not my mind too. Now I wonder, have I permanently damaged something up there? Is this as good as it's gonna get? Am I overreacting? Should I guenuinely be concerned? Should I be taking some kind of mind enhancing herb? Should I be seeking professional help? All I know is that it's getting pretty old. And I can't keep telling everyone "Sorry, I just had a baby and the mind's not quite back to it's normal functioning self yet". HE'S EIGHTEEN MONTHS OLD!
Whatever. It's getting late and I have a tendency to blow things out of proportion when I'm tired. Maybe I should just sleep on it, if I can remember where my bed is, that is.

3 comments:

Emily N said...

I'm already quite scatterbrained. Even pre-preggers. I guess ithave more of it to look forward to. Yea motherhood!

crush said...

Amen, sister!
Ditto!
I second the motion!
What else can I say?
This entry could be copied and pasted directly to my blog and I could claim it as my own!
Seriously!!
Thanks for the great post!

brittanyc said...

Oh, how I relate!!!!! You don't even know! Yes, I absolutely agree that motherhood takes a tole on our braincells. However, I should point out that you are NOT soggy, saggy, flabby, or anything of the sort.
Britt